1. Data on file, Acura Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Palatine, IL.
2. Brzeczko AW, Leech R, Stark JG. The advent of a new pseudoephedrine product to combat methamphetamine abuse. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2013;39(5):284-290.
3. “Did You Know?” References
The most common age of meth lab burn victims: under 4 years old.
Huffington Post. The Methiest States in the U.S. (Infographic). http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/07/meth-states_n_4057372.html. Published 2013. Accessed February 2, 2015.
3.8% of high school students in the US have tried meth.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Youth Risk Behavior Survey. Surveillance Summaries, 2011. MMWR 2012;61(No. SS-4):103. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/ss/ss6104.pdf. Accessed December 3, 2014.
28% of law enforcement officials nationwide reported meth as the greatest drug threat to their regions.
National Drug Intelligence Center. “National Methamphetamine Threat Assessment” (Johnstown, PA: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Nov.), 2010. http://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs44/44849/44849p.pdf. Accessed December 3, 2014.
4. Interactive Calculation References
Nicosia N, Pacula RL, Kilmer B, Lundberg R, Chiesa J. 2009. The economic cost of methamphetamine use in the United States, 2005. http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monographs/2009/RAND_MG829.pdf. Accessed December 3, 2014.
Sudafed® Congestion ingredients. http://www.sudafed.com/products/adult/sinus-congestion/sudafed-congestion#Ingredients. Accessed December 3, 2014.
Walden J. The top 100 drug store markets. Chain Drug Review. October 22, 2012:44.
These calculations are based on assumptions supported by various publicly available reports. They are intended for illustrative purposes only and may not fully represent the scope of the methamphetamine epidemic or the actual costs associated with methamphetamine in your community or state. This calculation assumes 10% of PSE boxes sold in your pharmacy are converted into methamphetamine.
Calculations are based on
- The amount of pseudoephedrine (30 mg) in a 24-tablet box of Sudafed®
- The number of kilograms of methamphetamine seized in 2005 in the United States
- The number of pharmacies in each state